WTF Folder/Key-Binding Guide - Get Ready for Launch

• Introduction

Hello Classic WoW community! The launch day is really close and many of us are seriously preparing for it. Here we going to talk about probably the next most important step after reserving your character name on the chosen server. We will set our key-binding ready from the moment you enter Azeroth! I know that dedicated and knowledgeable players already have their setup configured thanks to the last stress test, but I still think this guide could be helpful for them as well.

Video

You may check updating presentation in Google docs or watch the accompanying video on YouTube or right here:

Youtube Video

What the f... is the WTF folder?

You see, despite the fact that WoW client have changed tremendously since 2004, folder structure still remains recognizable. Our main focus here is the WTF folder - yeah, Vanilla developers were guys with a good sense of humor 🙂 This folder contains user specific files, generally settings of all kinds and some saved variables used by addons. It is crucial to understand that WTF folder does not exist untill you log in and out of the game world as it stores information that was cached on you computer. On your next attempt to log into the game world, the engine of WoW client loads these settings in phases and that is why they distributed in subfolders.

The general structure of WTF is hierarchical - in the root we see text file Config with capital C. This is client-wide level for graphical, audio and network connection settings. We also see SavedVariables folder, which contains saved values for various addons also on the same level. When you launch the game engine reads info in these files and replaces default values. Next folder - Account as you may guess contains user settings on the account-wide level. Inside this folder you will find another one or many corresponding to your accounts in classic wow. So lets go inside the folder with your account name.

Inside this folder the same rule applies: files contains account-wide settings while folders represent next level. Each folder named as the respective server and inside you will find folders with the names of your characters. It is a pretty simple structure and as you logging on the server WoW engine loads first account-wide settings by replacing default ones and then, if you have for example keybindings specific for some character, it will replace them again.

Precompiled WTF as a way to get your bindings ready!

We are lucky that WoW client does not care if we entering world on freshly created character - if engine finds WTF folder with properly named folders and files inside - well it will simply load and replace default values on described order. On the recent stress-test I have found that adding of precompiled WTF folder inside a newly installed WoW client had worked for the majority of settings and definitely for keybinding. However, I cannot 100% assure you that on the launch day there will be no surprises, so take this guide with a grain of salt.

To setup your UI settings in general - you need to know the number of your WoW account, which you see as name of the folder. Since it’s not the same as blizzard battle-tag the only solution I see now is to install retail version for the same account your going to use in Classic and create a test character there. When you log off - check the WTF inside retail client and you will get your account number. Note, that you don't need all these files if you want to only setup keybindings - just create the path how it is shown on the slide and put "bindings=cache.wtf" inside you account number folder to get keybindings for all of your characters already set without even knowing your server and name.
    You may download my example of "binding-cache.wtf".] and open it with the Notepad or any other plain text editor to change all bindings for the ones your prefer. If you want to have character-specific ones and already have reserved name on the chosen server, you just need to simply create folder with server name and another one inside with the character name. Then simply copy and edit your "bindings-cache.wtf" file inside it.

The general structure of "bindigns-cache.wtf" file is crazy simplistic. Basically with the exception of first line it consist of simple command - “bind”, key descriptor to action tag, separated by spaces. If you want to change bindings to a specific action of user interface you need to find its tag and replace the key or vice versa. Since key descriptors are pretty obvious, currently I'm showing you action tags divided by major groups as they are in the game settings. Pause the video or go to the upd ating presentation by the link down below to figure out action tags for which you want to change bindings.

Closing thoughts

And with that we are done! I just wanted to mention that this presentation style and some art assets I've borrowed from Kargoz, who is together with other cool guys making awesome content for the Classic community. Big thanks and my deep respect to them - be sure to check out their beautiful site with guides, atlas and other tools - all links will be down below! I mean seriously Navak alone has done like a several hundreds of pages for this interactive web guide!!! You better check it out as there you will find probably the most knowledgeable Classic content creators.
    This is literally my first attempt to make a guide and youtube video, so don't hesitate to comment and this way I will know how to improve the next part of this series.
    However if this small guide was helpful for you as a speedleveling trick, please share it with your friends and guildies. Also, come hang out on my stream at 27th when the marathon to 60 begins. I wish all of us smooth sailing from the starting zone with preconfigured bindings and until that time Owl is flying out...
    @-@

• Founder Shaman Horde

@OwlSway Great job! This is awesome!