Spell Hunter Overview (Video and Written)

• Initiate

So here is my idea...........

The bad part is this idea requires you to grind out high warlord in order for it to work....

full haste fast bow troll hunter....

So picture high warlord recurve and its 1.8 attack speed, then you will dual wield two high warlord spell blades...

Two spell blades = 72+30 spell power enchant+ 36 spell power oil = 138 spellpower times two = 276 spell power....

now you will always have to flask so thats 150 spellpower.....

add in a 2.5 tier set for 42 more spell damage...... (you will use your high warlord armor until you can get 2.5 tier)

equals 468 spell power...... so you will get roughly 200 damage added to your arcane shot.... 400ish damage arcane shot with talents is 1400ish crits...... and it always ignores armor.... and remember you are firing 12 arcane shots for every 10 aimed shots(actually more like 9 because you are delaying aimed shot casts to not clip auto shots)..... not to mention you are gaining all those clipped auto shots........ (using the fast bow you are losing 3 auto shots every time you aimed shot, and in some cases you are losing as many as five auto shots under haste effects...… one arcane shot plus three auto shots kicks the crap out of a aimed shot everytime)

factor in 3 min rapid fire, troll haste racial, crazy uptime on aspect of the hawk 30 percent haste because of zero clipping from just using arcane shot and multi shot.... not to mention being able to use serpent sting in 20 mans and five mans..... short fights??? rapid fire and troll haste twice!!! long fights??? rapid fire and troll haste three times!!!! better get two quivers for your arrows though haha!

Theoretically the build does more damage than any other hunter build (and its not even really close compared to the aimed shot gayness), is a beast in pvp, the downside is major cost of consumables (flask, oils, demonic runes, mana pots to keep mana up)

however the build is all about fast bows and max haste to maximize white damage.... you are losing hardly any white damage giving up two weapons (basically your mongoose elixir replaces the weapon damage you lose from dual wielding spellblades)..... every other gear piece is still the same agility stacking.....

so basically you will still have your 1500ish attack power, but you will have 468 spell power and use arcane shot instead of aimed shot...... the only downside is grinding out high warlord and consumable cost....... but when you get 2.5 set and then two pieces of crypstalker for the rapid fire buffs you will own anything.......... according to my calculations, it would put your dps in the 1500 ish range when you have 5 pieces of 2.5 and 4 cryptstalker plus highwarlord bow and two high warlord spellblades...... yes you would open eyes and blow up the hunter community with the bulletin (EVERYTHING ABOUT HUNTER DPS IS WRONG AND THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY TO DO IT πŸ™‚

I am going to prove it works in classic, so stay tuned πŸ™‚

• @Azzeus

Dude that sounds so hype! I've been really hoping that the old comments are true and that weapons like the Hurricane or the Quillshooter scale with +spelldam. All the old tests showed a 10% proc rate, which would be actually really fast when you're a Troll!

Can't wait for Classic either, see ya on the other side!

• Initiate

@GideonAI

your bow progression with arcane shot spec would be hurricane, eaglehorn, high warlord bow...... +7 damage scopes of course on them all...

Its all about getting as much uptime as possible on aspect of the hawk, machine gun arrow flinging madness...

• @Azzeus

Depending on scaling, the Hurricane could be BiS forever. With 500 sp at 43% scaling (typical for instant-cast abilities, would = 255 total proc damage) and a 10% proc rate, that would be something like an average bonus 100 Frost dps. The recurve only gives +7 stam, +16 dps, and +36 attack power in exchange for that proc ability.

Of course the only people who said it scaled with +spelldam back in the day failed to do sufficient testing to find out how much it scaled and those on the beta failed to test any related weapons, maybe they only scale at 10% or less. Just gotta wait and see.

• Initiate

@GideonAI
    to the best of my memory the hurricane did not scale with spell power, I used one for quite a long time back in the day and I just don't remember the numbers.....
    I can't wait to find out though.... I also can't wait to cheat troll haste racial with demonic runes and use the glorious arcane infused gem with trinket swapping lol πŸ™‚
    according to my math if it does scale with spell power you are correct πŸ™‚ if it doesn't you are gaining 12 percent white damage with the warlord recurve. I am also curious to find out if it does scale with spell power will it also scale with warlock curses and nightfall in the raiding environment.... because if it does..... good lord its gonna be crazy!!!!

if it does scale with spell power that just adds more insanity to the fact that everything everyone says about hunters dps is flat out wrong!

• Initiate

@GideonAI

do you have any reference material or links towards the hurricane information??? I just am struggling to find data to investigate the theory!!!

• @Azzeus

I have a big list of the 10 "on hit" magical damage proc weapons that fall in the Bow, Gun, or Crossbow categories, and I sifted through the combined comment sections of each using Classic Wowhead's "thottbot and allakhazam view". Some of the numbers people were giving, as well as some specific comments, mentioned or implied the distinct possibility of scaling, but nothing super-duper reliable.

• Initiate

@GideonAI ok thank you, I have seen those comments too πŸ™‚ I was just hoping you had a video showing it or something!!!!

This is going to be epic πŸ™‚

• @Azzeus

Yeah I should've reworded when I said "maybe it scales at 10% or less", I was trying to include the possibility of 0% scaling which would kill a lot of damage.

• Initiate

@GideonAI no problem, I used one for months back at launch, and I honestly just can't remember the numbers..... I think I am getting old haha

It just cracks me up, if we are correct, there are a million hunter dps posts out there that are flat out wrong..... I can't wait to find out and throw the hunter community upside down πŸ™‚

• Initiate

@GideonAI

Just wondering, how do you think the affix "reduces spell resistances to target" works with arcane shot?

like for instance on a sageblade until rank 14 weapons can be obtained?

• @Azzeus

Probably the same way other spells work, and from what we're hearing about Rag potentially having 100 Arcane Resistance I wouldn't be surprised if that affix was necessary across the board.

• Initiate

Awesome guide. Thank you for taking the time and effort to put some serious thought to the build and getting a general overview of the potential of the spellpower hunter spec (ranged, not melee). I found your post on this spec via accident on Youtube and you've inspired me to fully pursue this spec my entire time in Classic on my hunter NE main. I've read everything I could possibly find on this spec and your guide is the best and the only one that actually discuss the spec without completely labeling it as a "meme" spec with no validity or viability. I've constructed a BIS pre-raid list for phase 1 so far and have also been theorycrafting on the exact talents I would like to take and try out with it once I hit 60. Seems MM/SV is the best way to go with atm with 5 points in BM - IAotH for the white damage/dps increase. I am lvl 35 on my hunter atm and have to say with about half my gear with Arcane Spell Damage on it I have been enjoying this fun, interesting build and noticed very little cons with it so far. If I was to go ham on a mob just like any hunter your mana is depleted just as fast as a regular hunter but if I'm sticking more to my usual rotation leveling I don't really have any issues. I am more squishy but I'm good with that trade off as I'm much more mobile than other hunters... especially even as I'm lvling I'm in the BM tree atm. I wanted to reach out and see if you have any updates or information on the build in regards to the concrete testing of the proc chance on hit guns/bows in Classic. As I'm very invested in this build and interested to the potential I've been reaching out on the Classic Hunter Discord but still no concrete new tests have been performed on the proc gun/bows to test the scaling of SP. I've had feedback from the community on the scaling but it's about a 50/50, of yes they do scale and no they don't and all the yes's have not conducted actual tests to see if it's true. If possible, would you be able to find out? Thanks again for the guide. I'll keep monitoring this forum in the coming days to hopefully get a response back from you on the progress of the build.

• Initiate

@Vaporachi full spell hunter will not be viable at all... the only way to make it work is get high warlord weapons and use consumables..... going spell power gear gimps your white damage way to much.... you need to stack agility everywhere except the two weapons........ but have fun πŸ™‚

• Initiate

@Azzeus the build I was making isn't full spellpower but instead a mix of the two (agility/spellpower) with hit cap, good crit for my arcane shots, nice SP for starter preraid gear and talents tailored to improve my white damage. I plan on pvping a lot and willing to go the lengths needed to make the push in raids with consumables. Also if the proc weps turn out to scale with SP the decreased white damage should be balanced out with the increased proc damage. https://classic.wowhead.com/gear-planner/hunter/night-elf/AjwOXwUFBSBR8DUAUDEDA_AAS3iBSSdZPAI8M4NI-VhHhS6UTjkGSSGHM3JZPIguLjZCiTObTiiKNotOLAsdgQww_w02jQ4ygo8tZzY6kDaMYiKRNoxiIpIzWlj7
    Have you been able to test the weps out? Your posts months ago showed a lot of interest in the build as well just wondering what changed your mind?

• @Vaporachi

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, I'm ecstatic at your results so far! Unfortunately, even though I have a Hunter at the moment, he has taken the backseat to my Priest and Paladin and hasn't yet acquired one of the chance-on-hit ranged weapons yet. The previously-datamined information has held true so far so I don't expect any of those weapons to scale at all. With that said, there's still testing required for the proc rates on those weapons (some of those procs deal really high base damage!) and whether or not they'll proc off of rank 1 Serpent Sting spam (which doesn't overwrite a max-rank Serpent Sting DoT). Another thing that needs testing is the Blade of Eternal Darkness, and whether that will proc off of rank 1 Serpent Sting spam + Arcane Shots. All in all, I'm more optimistic than I was when I originally recorded this information. One minor deficiency on the PvE side of things is just that we don't have Nightfall until phase 3, which will amplify quite a bit of our damage.

• Initiate

@Vaporachi nothing has changed my mind, my build is the strongest hunter build by far, just can't prove it yet.... gotta wait for pvp phase

• Initiate

@Vaporachi i also have a hurricane now, will test it tomorrow to see if the proc scales with spellpower..... But everything is going great so far.... full beaststalker gear here with my 18/33 haste build and destroying everyone in mc on the meters

• Initiate

@GideonAI no but we have curse of shadow, which helps arcane shot alot!!!! also with the curse and my simple mongoose and arcane elixir use in mc the last couple days it already gives a very nice boost to arcane shot...

going to test my hurricane proc scaling off spellpower tomorrow!!!

• @Azzeus

Congrats on the Hurricane! If you could also record the proc rate then that would be absolutely fantastic (you can record both ranged hits as well as chance-on-hit procs through the addon known as "Recount", however I've only tested this with melee procs so far so I don't know if it's any different but if you use it for around 1,000 shots then we'll know the proc rate and how much average +dps it adds. Also if you can find out if Hurricane procs off of Arcane Shot and/or Rank 1 Serpent Sting by macro-ing a "/stopattack" command after shooting them then that would also be huge).

Are you saying you've actually taken a Spell Hunter into MC already?