The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS

• Founder Shaman

• Initiate

@Egregious Looking at fights in a 'general sense' (I know specific fights will potentially favor one stat or the other), how do you go about min/maxing the 'balance' of the mp5 vs +healing lists. I know you just mentioned you favor hsp over mp5 but is there a certain amount of mp5 you consider 'optimal' and then build around that? Do you just go for the '+healing' list all the way? Additionally - in you're interviews you've talked about how you favor intellect slightly more than hsp in your 'value point' system due to the available mana pool - are there certain guidelines you'll run as far as a baseline +healing or a baseline int you try to hit?

I'm mostly trying to maximize the efficiency while juggling the hsp, intellect, and mp5 stats and when you're looking at gearset as a whole instead of just piece-to-piece I'm having some trouble valuing the relative value of stats that contribute similar amounts of 'healing value.' Any insight would be much appreciate!

• Founder Shaman

@protean2213 I am currently building a +healing heavy set with almost no MP5 if I can help it. Certain items like Salamander Scale make picking up some unavoidable but, as far as preraid BiS goes, I am using items only from the +healing column of the sheet. I can do this because my encounters are typically sub 2 minutes. At that duration MP5 is rendered worthless. However, if you are progressing or on encounters greater than 4 minutes you can start swapping in more MP5 to carry you through.

I don't have a baseline Int I aim for, simply pick up items that are Int heavy in the early game to benefit from the front loaded mana Int provides. MP5 is conversely backloaded mana and not valuable until fights are longer.

It's easiest to pick up as much +healing on fights 2 minutes or less, use a small amount of MP5 on fights between 2 and 4 minutes, and then prioritize MP5 more heavily on fights 5 minutes or more. However, once you get better gear, it is harder to avoid MP5 so gearing specifically toward it is irrelevant. I would always avoid picking up pure MP5 items in all stages of progression and encounter duration unless you are aware of a pressing need for it. Do the math and find out how much mana that will give you to decide whether it will be worth your while.

• Initiate

hey in BWL BIS 8/8 t1 u have boots not as t1. Intended?

• Founder Shaman

@Kenny Thanks for the catch. Was not intended.

• Initiate

Will there be an update since DireMaul comes early? Maybe a BIS List for MC and DM mixed up would be nice.

• Initiate

What are your thoughts on Milli's Lexicon as an offhand in P2 prebis? I'd say it beats the rest as it gives 2 more mp5 while losing only 3 intellect compared to Gizlocks, unless you also take account for armor in your analysis?

• Founder Shaman

@Frakkie I did take armor into account. It's sort of niche but you do get hit occasionally and wearing a shield is something I do often on new encounters or fights with adds. The Lexicon is a better item from a stat perspective and, if you have faith you will not be struck by mobs during trash or an encounter, I'd say use it. Similar to Lei of the Lifegiver. It's up to you as that armor does make a difference and can be the factor that saves you in tight spots.

• Initiate

@Egregious Does 8/8 T1 function like chain heal in that it is smart healing? If so, does that mean HW replaces CH? If you could talk a little bit about it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

• Initiate

@Egregious How do you value armor overall? I know you previously mentioned that you take it into account and that you will wear a shield for new fights or fights with adds. I noticed you seem to take it into account even beyond shields though with the inclusion of items like Merciful Greaves in the Final MC BIS (phase 2-6). In the phase 2-6 Pre-Raid BIS you list Boots of the Full Moon and Verdant Footpads. Merciful Greaves has 240 armor but you're giving up 6 healing and 9 spirit for that 180 armor and 2 Int/Stam compared to Full Moon. Curious why the Greaves are excluded from the Pre-Raid Phase 2 BIS list but included in the Final MC BIS.

• Founder Shaman

I do value armor and stam pretty highly. I'll swap gear on difficult trash to increase my survivability as well as on boss encounters with adds and insecure threat. However, it looks like you uncovered an oversight. I replaced Merciful Greaves with Boots of the Full Moon after weighing the two items in all instances except the Final MC BiS. I've recently changed my stat priority to:

MP5: 1:1
    Int: 4:1
    hSP: 5:1
    Crit: 1:2

• Initiate

Given your lean towards raw healing power, does that impact your opinion on libram enchants (taking the 8 hSP vs 150 mana since we're relying on consumables and stacking healing power)? I also notice you suggest Eye of the Beast AND Second Wind alongside the Briarwood Reed for raiding gear. At first glance I'd assume you're using Eye whenever Second Wind is on CD (or perhaps just for trash in general) but even the base 22 healing of Second Wind would be comparable with the 2% Crit by the valuation meaning perhaps Crit is being valued a bit higher than 10 hSP - I would have thought if anything it would be valued a little less as it is 'unreliable' as well as prone to inadvertent overhealing. Maybe I'm missing the situations in which you'd favor Crit over the more consistent hSP at comparable value quantities. (Edit: likely for Ancestral Healing procs) Thanks so much in advance for humoring the detail/nitty gritty for these things.

• Initiate

@Egregious I too am really curious about @Azak 's Question: how does t1 8/8 influence chain heal? I personally am doing raidhealing in my raid. not gonna lie, like 85% of all my heals across mc and ony are done by chain heal. wouldnt that make 8/8 t1 kinda useless on me as well?

BTW, HUGE THANKS for all these guides, they are really helpful!

• Initiate

Hi, isnt Corehound Belt phase 3?

• Initiate

@Chain1 It doesn't. T1 8/8 may be good for some fights or when you are cleaving down bosses but most of the time it is just overhealing. Better to raid looking like a succulent than a volcano.

Also, comment to author: I notice you have made Aurastone Hammer your P1 BIS +heal pick over the blue, is 60 mana over a regular fight in MC worth it over 8 healing?

• Initiate

@Sam-Clift So would you advise me to just skip on T1 until my tank-healing shamans got it, and then, once obtained, only equip it on fights like garr, where i do mostly healing wave? I would, ofc, equip my +healing gear for fights like majordomo, etc.

Thanks in Advance.

• Initiate

Is your < showing lei is better than dragonscale?

• Founder Shaman

@protean2213 said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

Given your lean towards raw healing power, does that impact your opinion on libram enchants (taking the 8 hSP vs 150 mana since we're relying on consumables and stacking healing power)? I also notice you suggest Eye of the Beast AND Second Wind alongside the Briarwood Reed for raiding gear. At first glance I'd assume you're using Eye whenever Second Wind is on CD (or perhaps just for trash in general) but even the base 22 healing of Second Wind would be comparable with the 2% Crit by the valuation meaning perhaps Crit is being valued a bit higher than 10 hSP - I would have thought if anything it would be valued a little less as it is 'unreliable' as well as prone to inadvertent overhealing. Maybe I'm missing the situations in which you'd favor Crit over the more consistent hSP at comparable value quantities. (Edit: likely for Ancestral Healing procs) Thanks so much in advance for humoring the detail/nitty gritty for these things.

IMO the +150 mana is more impactful at this point in time. As far as Eye, it's a crap shoot for parses. I typically use straight +healing trinkets over anything else.

@Chain1 said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

@Egregious I too am really curious about @Azak 's Question: how does t1 8/8 influence chain heal? I personally am doing raidhealing in my raid. not gonna lie, like 85% of all my heals across mc and ony are done by chain heal. wouldnt that make 8/8 t1 kinda useless on me as well?

BTW, HUGE THANKS for all these guides, they are really helpful!

If you are T1 8/8 you basically don't use CH anymore. Your HW ranks 8 and 9 (and later 10) become Chain Heal (Rank 3+). The only downside to T1 8/8 is fitting the front loaded Healing Wave into someone's health pool. The front end of the spell is so heavy it often causes overhealing. However, the set produces more HPS on paper and, if you can fit it into practice, will suit you just fine. It's a very competitive set.

@Tsar said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

Hi, isnt Corehound Belt phase 3?

Yes, it is. Does it say otherwise? I will check.

@Sam-Clift said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

@Chain1 It doesn't. T1 8/8 may be good for some fights or when you are cleaving down bosses but most of the time it is just overhealing. Better to raid looking like a succulent than a volcano.

Also, comment to author: I notice you have made Aurastone Hammer your P1 BIS +heal pick over the blue, is 60 mana over a regular fight in MC worth it over 8 healing?

The difference is very insignificant. I prefer Aurastone for PvP.

@Chain1 said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

@Sam-Clift So would you advise me to just skip on T1 until my tank-healing shamans got it, and then, once obtained, only equip it on fights like garr, where i do mostly healing wave? I would, ofc, equip my +healing gear for fights like majordomo, etc.

Thanks in Advance.

Yes, I definitely would.

@Kenny said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

Is your < showing lei is better than dragonscale?

It is for raw output purposes.

Sorry all for the late responses. Not sure wtf was up with my notifications.

• Initiate

@Egregious thanks for the answers!

Why do you put 4 T2 items into your BWL Phase 3 list?
    Also, why are Bracers of Ten Storms in there with the 6MP5 and a bit more Int instead of Loomguard Armbraces with 33 HSP? I thought you avoided pure mp5 items?
    Or maybe because mp5 becomes more valueable with the longer bossfights in bwl?

• Founder Shaman

@Chain1 As options depending on your off pieces. Depending on what you have, you can plan out your T2 3pc. There is also cost-benefit in there for what you'd lose picking up others. Despite not really wanting the MP5 on bracers, it's a competitive off piece compared to the loss on other item and set combinations.