The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS

• Founder Shaman

I do value armor and stam pretty highly. I'll swap gear on difficult trash to increase my survivability as well as on boss encounters with adds and insecure threat. However, it looks like you uncovered an oversight. I replaced Merciful Greaves with Boots of the Full Moon after weighing the two items in all instances except the Final MC BiS. I've recently changed my stat priority to:

MP5: 1:1
    Int: 4:1
    hSP: 5:1
    Crit: 1:2

• Initiate

Given your lean towards raw healing power, does that impact your opinion on libram enchants (taking the 8 hSP vs 150 mana since we're relying on consumables and stacking healing power)? I also notice you suggest Eye of the Beast AND Second Wind alongside the Briarwood Reed for raiding gear. At first glance I'd assume you're using Eye whenever Second Wind is on CD (or perhaps just for trash in general) but even the base 22 healing of Second Wind would be comparable with the 2% Crit by the valuation meaning perhaps Crit is being valued a bit higher than 10 hSP - I would have thought if anything it would be valued a little less as it is 'unreliable' as well as prone to inadvertent overhealing. Maybe I'm missing the situations in which you'd favor Crit over the more consistent hSP at comparable value quantities. (Edit: likely for Ancestral Healing procs) Thanks so much in advance for humoring the detail/nitty gritty for these things.

• Initiate

@Egregious I too am really curious about @Azak 's Question: how does t1 8/8 influence chain heal? I personally am doing raidhealing in my raid. not gonna lie, like 85% of all my heals across mc and ony are done by chain heal. wouldnt that make 8/8 t1 kinda useless on me as well?

BTW, HUGE THANKS for all these guides, they are really helpful!

• Initiate

Hi, isnt Corehound Belt phase 3?

• Initiate

@Chain1 It doesn't. T1 8/8 may be good for some fights or when you are cleaving down bosses but most of the time it is just overhealing. Better to raid looking like a succulent than a volcano.

Also, comment to author: I notice you have made Aurastone Hammer your P1 BIS +heal pick over the blue, is 60 mana over a regular fight in MC worth it over 8 healing?

• Initiate

@Sam-Clift So would you advise me to just skip on T1 until my tank-healing shamans got it, and then, once obtained, only equip it on fights like garr, where i do mostly healing wave? I would, ofc, equip my +healing gear for fights like majordomo, etc.

Thanks in Advance.

• Initiate

Is your < showing lei is better than dragonscale?

• Founder Shaman

@protean2213 said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

Given your lean towards raw healing power, does that impact your opinion on libram enchants (taking the 8 hSP vs 150 mana since we're relying on consumables and stacking healing power)? I also notice you suggest Eye of the Beast AND Second Wind alongside the Briarwood Reed for raiding gear. At first glance I'd assume you're using Eye whenever Second Wind is on CD (or perhaps just for trash in general) but even the base 22 healing of Second Wind would be comparable with the 2% Crit by the valuation meaning perhaps Crit is being valued a bit higher than 10 hSP - I would have thought if anything it would be valued a little less as it is 'unreliable' as well as prone to inadvertent overhealing. Maybe I'm missing the situations in which you'd favor Crit over the more consistent hSP at comparable value quantities. (Edit: likely for Ancestral Healing procs) Thanks so much in advance for humoring the detail/nitty gritty for these things.

IMO the +150 mana is more impactful at this point in time. As far as Eye, it's a crap shoot for parses. I typically use straight +healing trinkets over anything else.

@Chain1 said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

@Egregious I too am really curious about @Azak 's Question: how does t1 8/8 influence chain heal? I personally am doing raidhealing in my raid. not gonna lie, like 85% of all my heals across mc and ony are done by chain heal. wouldnt that make 8/8 t1 kinda useless on me as well?

BTW, HUGE THANKS for all these guides, they are really helpful!

If you are T1 8/8 you basically don't use CH anymore. Your HW ranks 8 and 9 (and later 10) become Chain Heal (Rank 3+). The only downside to T1 8/8 is fitting the front loaded Healing Wave into someone's health pool. The front end of the spell is so heavy it often causes overhealing. However, the set produces more HPS on paper and, if you can fit it into practice, will suit you just fine. It's a very competitive set.

@Tsar said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

Hi, isnt Corehound Belt phase 3?

Yes, it is. Does it say otherwise? I will check.

@Sam-Clift said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

@Chain1 It doesn't. T1 8/8 may be good for some fights or when you are cleaving down bosses but most of the time it is just overhealing. Better to raid looking like a succulent than a volcano.

Also, comment to author: I notice you have made Aurastone Hammer your P1 BIS +heal pick over the blue, is 60 mana over a regular fight in MC worth it over 8 healing?

The difference is very insignificant. I prefer Aurastone for PvP.

@Chain1 said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

@Sam-Clift So would you advise me to just skip on T1 until my tank-healing shamans got it, and then, once obtained, only equip it on fights like garr, where i do mostly healing wave? I would, ofc, equip my +healing gear for fights like majordomo, etc.

Thanks in Advance.

Yes, I definitely would.

@Kenny said in The Egregious Classic Resto Shaman Progressive BiS:

Is your < showing lei is better than dragonscale?

It is for raw output purposes.

Sorry all for the late responses. Not sure wtf was up with my notifications.

• Initiate

@Egregious thanks for the answers!

Why do you put 4 T2 items into your BWL Phase 3 list?
    Also, why are Bracers of Ten Storms in there with the 6MP5 and a bit more Int instead of Loomguard Armbraces with 33 HSP? I thought you avoided pure mp5 items?
    Or maybe because mp5 becomes more valueable with the longer bossfights in bwl?

• Founder Shaman

@Chain1 As options depending on your off pieces. Depending on what you have, you can plan out your T2 3pc. There is also cost-benefit in there for what you'd lose picking up others. Despite not really wanting the MP5 on bracers, it's a competitive off piece compared to the loss on other item and set combinations.

• Initiate

@Egregious Your comparison of Empowered Leggings and Salamander Scale Pants in Phase 3 doesn't seem to include a '>' or anything to indicate your preference looking at them overall. Obviously having both would allow for swapping depending on fight length but of course that isn't always going to be an option. My original lean was towards Salamander thinking that the mp5, while unfavored in a more general set, might still be very strong going into AQ as fights start extending (I did notice that Salamander are listed in your AQ set) and while not useless, we obviously don't get as much benefit from the massive spirit on Empowered as priests. How do you compare these two items?

• Initiate

@Egregious sorry for having yet another Question: My raidlead was asking, if it was even worth to equip a shaman with T1 and use him for tank healing instead of raidhealing, if we already have priests and druids, who can tankheal just fine but dont have the raidheal potential. His Argument was, that shamans are the best raidheals and should mostly do that. Whats your stance on that? Should my 1 or 2 designated T1 shamans just use the setbonus and raidheal with Healing Wave instead of Chain Heal? (you said earlier, that you dont use chainheal anymore if you got 8/8 T1)

• Initiate

@Chain1 Not egregious - but in my opinion it can still be really beneficial having a deep resto sham on tank heals. The 25% armor boost from ancestral healing isn't something to be ignored and we have essentially a LoH with NS+ R10 HW. On a good majority of fights, healing waves on MT will also reach some mdps (with 8/8 t1). Shamans are great raid healers, but also very strong single target healers. It generally boils down to your raid comp and what you need the most. If you have an issue with tanks getting flatlined, maybe the extra armor and utility from a rsham would be helpful. However if you have dps dying too often, toss that shaman out there to cast some chain heals.

• Initiate

@Budlightning does the shaman 25% armor buff stack with the priests one?

• Initiate

@Chain1 It does not, but they will overwrite each other, and essentially renew duration.

• Thanks all of you for your comments

• Initiate

Since you say get either the +healing totem or the + rebirth cd totem in one phase but then have rebirth as BIS for the rest of the phases is it safe to assume to just go for rebirth over the +healing or should you have both in your arsenal?

• Initiate

@Chain1 If you are on tank duty, then full T1 is good. But that is only the case if there are other tanks or perhaps dps close enough (10 yards I think), and they also have to be taking damage (trash, maybe Rag and bwl-dragons etc). Otherwise maxed +healing (and +mp5) is better in pure tank and spank fights (razorgore, vael etc).

If you on the other hand are on both tank duty and raid healing, perhaps at the same time, then the choice between T1, 3 set T2 and +healing becomes more interesting as it could depend on the fight, what off-pieces you have and also your raid composition and tactic.

If you are on purely tank duty, and that tank is all alone at a certain spot, the reason full T1 isn't great is because the 5set would only give you about 7-15 mp5, depending on what healing rank used and that mp5 calculation is only true if you never cancel a heal; and 8set bonus wouldnt do anything at all.

Therefor I would say it is good if you pass T1 to the tank healer for those specific fights mentioned, but it is also good to have all shammys have T1 for certain raid healing and the fights I mentioned above with f.e. multiple tanks close to each other.

On a sidenote, but perhaps given, full T1 obviously scales worse, since you cannot upgrade your items. So the more offpieces you pick up with big +healing, the less viable full T1 perhaps becomes.

I could however be misinformed.

• Initiate

T1 5 set gives effectively the following.
    110Mp5 when using LHW R6, 95Mp5 when using Healing Wave R9
    80mp5 if not specced into faster Healing Wave Casts
    diminishing effects on lower ranks

From my calculations when you have around 913+ healing you can output more than t1 8 set though less efficiently based on 450+ healing with 8 set. On paper you will overheal more regardless so its more like 848+ healing that beats T1 8 set, plus with its limited range its only a few bosses where you can use it to its full potential.

The significance of 3 set T2 and crit numbers speak for themselves
    based on 988+healing full BiS phase 3
    Initial Second Third
    T2 1312 1050 840
    no T2 1312 656 328

Taking crit into account (take note critting on all 3 is an extremely low chance)
    Initial Second Third
    T2 1968 1575 1260
    no T2 1968 984 492

Ceilings of stats where they lose all value
    +healing - never loses value get as much as possible.
    Crit ~40% with full world buffs after that it loses value probably the most underrated stat imo.
    100 MP5 for intense healing CH R3 over a long duration (20 mins+) with consumables you will never need more, If fights are under 3 minutes you don't need any MP5 just high Int
    Intellect - never loses value get as much as possible.

Using the following point system based on Egregious ratios put into the pawn addon I have 2 gear sets

Min/Max (progression fights where mana is intensively used by default the most optimized set for healing output) 1:1 with Egregious ratios.
    1 Healing=16.6 points
    1 int=20 points
    1 mp5=100 points
    1% spell crit= 200 points

Vaelestraza and all short fights where mana regen means nothing, I like getting to 40% crit from all world buffs and then focus on +healing for maximum output, crit isn't as highly valued in these stat weights, once reaching 40% fully buffed +healing wins.
    1 int=1 points
    1% spell crit= 60 points (to 40% cap)
    +heals when cap reached, always include the 5% base you get from talents as it doesn't show in your character panel.

• Initiate

@Healashammy You are right, and I noticed that I wrote down the wrong numbers in my text. It is 7-15 mana per second not MP5, and my number was also too low (532 (per 2.5 sec) / 4 / 3 * 2) is around 90 MP5 on 1 target, as you wrote. Can chain to 90*3 = 270 Mp5 during optimal conditions. This is using max rank so mana might go fast.

Problem with Full T1 is also if your main heal gets sniped it loses a lot of it's HPS, while chain heal, especially with 3 set T2, is a more spread out healing output and therefor less sensitive to the first hit getting too much overheal.

I would also agree that the +heal breaking point of T1 and 3 set T2 would be around 700-800 +healing during normal conditions, while 3 set T2 obviously have worse regen (only matters if you want to save consumables).