Lets Talk Professions

• Partner

Hello All,

I am making this post in hopes of getting some data for a video I am currently working on.

I had a few questions that I would like to ask to all who read this, if you have the time.

Please don't rush, think out your response thorough.

1. What are your Favorite professions?

2. Why did you choose the ones you did?

3. Did you ever feel like your professions made a difference?

4. Have you ever thought about how your choice of profession may have impacted your faction or server?

5. Did your choice in professions ever make you feel more attached to your character?

6. How did it make your feel more attached, if it did?

7. Did you ever feel like your character became more defined because of the time and effort you put in your profession?

8. Do you think that current day WoW (BFA) could be made better if they fixed profession to matter like they did in Classic WoW?

Let me know by replying below.

I can wait to see what discussions come out of this.

1. Alchemy and Enchanting
    2. Both provide supportive qualities and buffs. Sometimes these buffs cant be achieved through other classes. Ive always enjoyed playing classes in other games that provided some kind of utility to the party. So for me, these replicate that exp. With both on a single toon, its almost like you have someone there providing that supprt with you.
    3. Always. Whether providing the edge needed to overcome an elite, or a pvp fight, to the utility provided by misc buffs such as waterwalking, professions are just another defining characteristic of your toon used to progress through the world.
    4. No. I tend to play solo most of the time. Im more than willing to provide services for anyone who asks, but I usually choose my professions based on what is most helpful to just me.
    5. Hard to say. Yes, no. I view it more as utility.
    6. See previous answer.
    7. Kinda. Not sure i would use the word defined though. I view my toons more in a measure of strength compared to say, standing out in my mind or whatever it is that you would consider "defined".
    8. No. The current version I think would actually suffer from it. The game has become something that everyone follows a meta set by those in front, and introducing a profession choice that matters, would encourage people to choose certain professions over another simply because its more powerful, useful, or just the meta. I remember a time (I believe it was in Wrath) when most, if not all tanks had Bs/Jc simply because it gave us 2 extra sockets and 3 more powerful gems then people who didnt have those profs. So no, i dont think it would be a good thing.
    9. Excellent post. Really made me think about my answers, compared to a general census on "Whats everyone choosing and why? GJ, Sir Pohgren.

• Partner

@Nick-Necro-Stane Thank you so much Nick. πŸ™‚ I am glad you liked it!

• Initiate

1. Enchanting and Engineering
    2. It was a hard question, because i love professions in general. They bring much uniqueness to the char. Enchants are always needed and thinking of rogue upgrading weapons is always costly cause two enchants is needed. Engineering has so many fun toys and stuff, so you gotta love it.
    3. YES! in terms of making money, saving money, have something that others dont, making gear ect.
    4. No, but my friends professions affects my choice. So that we can all benefit.
    5. Yes/no. My attach to my character comes from class fantasy ect, but there is ofc little thing, like i like the idea of undead and alchemy.
    6. Well yes, i invest time and money to get profit. Its like in real world you have a profession to keep you going!
    7. Well there is so many wrong about it at the time. Example the gear is easier to obtain, so making stuff with profession is useless, but it would be great if it wasnt so. There are few items you can make like in LW and BS, but farming mats to them needs so much raiding and eventually you will get much better items from the raids, so it will again be useless. Now only enchanting, cooking and alchemy are viable, but are still so narrow.

Great post!

• Partner

@Arccitehti thank you as well my friends. This information is great :)!

• What are your Favorite professions? ------- Alchemy and Herbalism

Why did you choose the ones you did? ------- I love plants, animals and nature in general so naturally I love the idea of Herbalism. I have an uncle who studied forestry in school and he was able to identify most, if not all, plants that he came across up here in Ohio.. I always thought that was so cool to be able to identify plants and that carried over to WoW with herbalism being able to harvest plants Alchemy because its just so COOL! Potions? Sign me up!

Did you ever feel like your professions made a difference? ------ It did for me personally in the game. It helped me with buffing myself as I progressed and it let me help other people by just opening trade and giving them some extra stock that I had. It gave me a way to interact and help people which I enjoy doing.

Have you ever thought about how your choice of profession may have impacted your faction or server? ------ I never really thought about it in a big picture way like that, but I do believe that its similar to what I said previously, it gave me a way to interact and help people (of my faction). I'd like to think it helped them level faster and have more fun doing it.

Did your choice in professions ever make you feel more attached to your character? ------ Yes.

How did it make your feel more attached, if it did? ------ As a mage, I felt like it was the perfect fit to be an Alchemist at least. I was a magic user and I was making magical potions!

Did you ever feel like your character became more defined because of the time and effort you put in your profession? ------ I never really thought about that. It made my character more of the nice guy on the server since I was creating potions and helping out people in my guild and also people who were just in my dungeon group who look like they needed a buff. More defined as a nice guy, but personally it made me do more damage and survive more! lol

Do you think that current day WoW (BFA) could be made better if they fixed profession to matter like they did in Classic WoW? ------ Yes yes YES! It's really a huge part of the game for me. It promotes personal interactions and I will NEVER forget back in vanilla when I tried out tailoring one time and I was trying to get materials for an epic item at max level (cant remember the name right now). I was out farming elementals in Silithus and a fellow mage offered to help me grind out the elementals because he knew the process of creating this item. SOCIAL INTERACTION. Not saying current WoW cant promote that but it had much more willingness to help other people then vs now.

*Sorry, a lot of these turned into stories but thats the power of Classic WoW to ME. Some people look at it from a min-max PoV which is fine, but I always look at myself and make sure I am having fun, interacting with people in a positive way and helping my fellow faction mates achieve their goals.

• Partner

@Wiznips Thank you and no you are fine. I Appreciate your input good sir.

• Partner

In the perfect world I want to have every recipe to every profession on the perfect main character that it fit too. So as a mage I would want Tailoring & Enchanting or something along those lines. Realistically I'm only going to be able to have every recipe to 1 or 2 professions and that being my main character because of raid formulas and reputation recipes and the like. I'm a completionist at heart and I want to be that guy that you go to when you need an enchant because you know he's got it. i want to log in and have mail waiting for me that's requesting my services lol instead of using battle.net / friends list to communicate lol go full RP.

That being said, I think there's going to be a lot more completionists like myself and some of these players will even be more casual. This means they won't be able to play long enough to acquire all the world recipes naturally and what not. They're going to have to resort to the AH to complete their set because that is one of their main goals in classic. In theory, these characters, this server, these items are never going away. I think that creates a greater demand for these recipes and I think they're going to sell for a fortune no matter how insignificant the recipe is. Take White Leather Jerkin for example, a useless chest piece that looks a little cool but will never be used as "transmog" or any type of serious progression. It's trash. But in a Classic wow environment, one that never goes away I think these weird one off recipes become valuable and will sell for a ton. Anyways thats my two sense on proff πŸ˜„

• Shaman Horde

What are your Favorite professions?
    Alchemy, Herbalist, and Fishing

Why did you choose the ones you did?
    I like to be able to provide everything i need to raid and help out my guild mates.

Did you ever feel like your professions made a difference?
    Yes I never had to worry about if I was going to have my stuff for raid or if there was going to be in the AH. I have no idea how many mana pots I have used over the years but I know I have only payed gold for maybe 2% of them.

Have you ever thought about how your choice of profession may have impacted your faction or server?
    Not really I do my professions for me and my friends I don't really do it on a large scale. I tend to collect everything I need and only make what I need. I normally only use the AH if I need to or to make some extra gold if I want something.

Did your choice in professions ever make you feel more attached to your character?
    of course I feel like I spend more time with my professions end game than anything else. It becomes a huge part of what I do in game.

How did it make your feel more attached, if it did?
    Most defiantly. Fishing is one thing that I really get attached to. I don't know why but it is one of my favorite things to do in the game.

Did you ever feel like your character became more defined because of the time and effort you put in your profession?
    100% yes being able to do everything you need to play the game how you want really makes you become attached to your character. You spend so much time only playing one toon it starts to become unique and when you start getting some of the end game recipes it becomes something you never what to give up.

Do you think that current day WoW (BFA) could be made better if they fixed profession to matter like they did in Classic WoW?
    I do.

• Partner

@Graysfordays @Beano Thank you both for your great feed back I love it. πŸ˜„