Cross-Realm Battlegrounds

• Founder Warrior Horde

I feel strongly about this topic. Queue times are improved by this system, but at what cost?

The best part of Vanilla is the sense of community. You come to know the people you share Azeroth with--if not by name then by guild. Cross-realm BGs entirely removed this precious quality from battlegrounds when they were introduced at the very end of Vanilla.

Anonymous PvP is NOT Vanilla, and it has no place in Classic. I want to play with and against the same people in a persistent social environment (ie a server). I want to come to know their tricks and plan accordingly. I want to form friendships and make enemies. I want guild rivalries to play out in microcosm in Warsong Gulch. I want to see that new Ashkandi I've seen on the Org bank in action in a battleground pug. I want the Alliance to know my Succubus's name and tremble.

Replacing this vital community feature with entirely anonymous, one-off interactions is not good for the game.

What are your thoughts?

• Founder Shaman

This is the most worrying element of what has been released to us about the plan for Classic. Server integrity, character/player impact on your personal WoW narrative, and your ability to come to know the players of your same and opposing faction are massively hamstrung by the implementation of CRBGs.

I'm hoping we will see a death of this idea in the Classic space and I will heavily lobby against it for the entirety of its existence in Classic.

#noCRBGs

• Druid Alliance Initiate

Couldn't agree more. I will say I am not someone who cares about getting a higher rank in PvP. If I do great, if I don't I wont lose sleep over it. For me Battlegrounds are about the fight between the two factions. And the idea of seeing some of the same people fighting with me or against me is one of the reasons I will play Battlegrounds.

• Mage Alliance

Ok, but what you seem to be missing is the fact that cross realm BG's were in Vanilla. They were introduced in patch 1.12 , the patch we are getting.

• Druid Alliance Initiate

True and since it came out in 1.12 I don't think there will be a possibility of not having it. But I have never been in the "no changes" camp. In general it is something I hope for but do not expect to get.

• Founder Warrior Horde

@ReverendChris said in Cross-Realm Battlegrounds:

Ok, but what you seem to be missing is the fact that cross realm BG's were in Vanilla. They were introduced in patch 1.12 , the patch we are getting.

Using 1.12 class mechanics and itemization makes sense because it would feel weird to have them change over the course of Classic, and knowledgeable players could take advantage of the predictable changes. Also, it's more convenient for the devs to just use the 1.12 data and call it a day. Non-database functionality like cross-realm BGs doesn't fall into that category. It's entirely up to their discretion whether to implement it or not and when.

Cross-realm was added so late in Vanilla (the final patch) that it feels out of place. It technically was in Vanilla but that is just that: a technicality. Not to mention, none of the pservers which inspired Classic had anything like cross-realm PvP.

Anonymous PvP is a very different experience which will not be reminiscent of anyone's treasured memories from Vanilla or Nost.

• Mage Alliance

That is an interesting point, I never thought of it that way. Most people seem to want non X-realm PVP, so hopefully that is what will happen.