Change my mind.

• Initiate

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20759646209

Hello all, with this link in mind I want to argue my case on why I think classes should be balanced and let me be very clear when I say balanced I don't mean the same.
    I started in tbc so I can't say how I remember it, but people almost unilaterally agree that the classes in the above forum post weren't as good as others and were almost never used.
    This ruins two things in wow.
    Our fun and our freedom, it isn't fun to see the same classes running about everywhere, it won't be fun having to compete with a million warriors because no one can tank as anything else.
    It won't be fun having our choices removed for anyone who wants to play balance druid, shadow priest, or tank as a pally.
    Some may argue that with enough skill and gear that a balance druid can be viable in raids(I'm not sure as I wasn't there)
    But even if that was the case it's not really the point, a druid shouldnt have to put in triple the effort to have the same outcome as a frost mage.
    The title says change my mind, but I honestly don't think it's possible, the benefits of each pve, healing and tank spec on any class being a viable option during raids and having some diversity amongst the population would just be too great.

Please don't reply with no changes, it's not an arguement and only proves my point.
    Thanks for your time.

• Priest Horde

Sounds like Classic isn't really for you, and that's fine!
    What a lot of people enjoy about the unbalanced nature of classic is the feeling that your class plays a specific role and is not good at everything.
    While some specs/builds might not be the best DPS, they often bring something unique that benefits the group.
    BFA/Current WoW isn't going anywhere so I wouldn't worry. πŸ™‚

• Initiate

@Dan That's not an answer man.
    I hate current wow, it's unrecognisable.
    It's not that some classes aren't the best dps, it's that they're useless.
    People shouldn't be forced into playing certain classes with certain specs.
    Freedom of choice is such a great thing in mmos.
    You can't simply say some classes don't do well and that's that.
    Paladins can't tank raids because they have no taunt.
    Druids can't tank raids well.
    That's gives horde one option for tanking.
    Same with alliance, its boring.
    No shadow priests, no balance druids, no ret paladins.
    I'm sure some people will make those classes, but they will need to put in triple the effort to raid, if they will even be allowed to raid at all.
    It would ruin nothing in classic if some numbers were changed to make classes ables to rival others in dps, healing or tanking.
    Maybe give paladins a taunt.
    No one would complain I assure you.
    No one can deny that some freedom of choice would improve the game.
    Unless you can prove otherwise.
    I hope Blizz perfect of what can be perfected.

• Priest Horde

I get what you are saying buddy I really do but the whole point of them running classic is to replicate the experience as it was back in the day.
    I can assure you that there is a massive community of people that swear by the original game as it was in 1.12.

• Initiate

@Dan I can never condone devs and players not aiming for perfection.
    I will play classic, as a warrior, as I have no other choice.

• Priest Horde

@Grimseethe you'll boss it as a warrior dude. You got this! πŸ‘Œ

• Initiate

I agree with you Grimseethe.

WoW Classic is not the perfect game. It is a great game, but it is not flawless. It could be improved. But will it be improved? I think that is unlikely. If we still had people like Kevin Jordan (original game designer for WoW) working on the game, then maybe it would be possible to make changes to Classic WoW such as balancing the classes, retuning raids, etc.

But the company that created WoW and the company that now creates WoW are entirely different. Frankly, I don't trust them to be able to make changes to the game without making it worse. They don't have a good track record. I think we should all be grateful that we are getting a version of WoW that is almost exactly the same as the original game was. To ask for something more than that, to ask for an even better game, may be too much to ask.

• Priest Warlock Horde

Classic 2.0 in a future mmo, could have those improvements while retaining the Classic style game. We need to go through the current version, warts and all, to learn what that might look like.

• Founder Shaman Horde

This is a hard thing to tackle but the best way to look at Classic WoW is from the perspective of a table top game. Classes in those games are NOT balanced around certain aspects for a reason. Druids, Paladins, and other hybrid-type classes cannot do the same amount of damage as fighters, rogues, wizards and such due to how the classes are built. Clerics are the best healers because.. well, they are Clerics. WoW Classic is the same way. If you balance classes, you kill the RPG elements of the game. One of the issues with current WoW is that classes are too balanced, aside from the myriad other issues. Perfection is relative @Grimseethe. To me, the game is perfect because classes fit into their respective niches well. Druids are not supposed to tank as good as warriors, they are the jack of all trades. Elemental Shaman shouldn't do more damage than mages, they are a support class. I think there are two different mentalities or axes of creation, if you will: utility and class identity. They are more mutually exclusive than you think. In fact, I think they are inversely correlated. When you increase utility, you diminish class identity and vice-versa. For this reason, Classic WoW never balanced well - because the devs tried their best to maximize along both axes. However, It really isn't possible in my eyes. The Burning Crusade made improvements and perhaps found a really good middle ground where both values were pretty high. We will get there. Classic/Vanilla WoW is part of that evolution. And to not experience it is, in my eyes, a shame. Just my opinion.